We have looked at immersive environements, networking etc
Now what about the future of the internet.
What will happen to our identity, our work life, and our lives in general.
Our lives will be dictated by this!
Immersive technology is now being used in retail, as a selling tool. Retail is becoming more savvy to sell us things, immersive media.
IBM business partners recently predicted that next generation stores will be:
“Sense and respond environments that morph themselves to meet the temporal demands of customers’ immediate shopping objectives.”
–Retailers integrated digital media technologies:
- radio frequency identification (RFID)
- kiosks (loyal customers, shop database has information on you, can serve you the things the shop thinks you will like)
- Already Holograms in use, Birmingham Airport
- electronic shelf labels
- shopping cart companions
-Minority Report (film) might not be the stuff of science fiction soon
-age of ubiquitous computing.
- Iris scanning, loads of buildings in the world entered with an iris scan
- Prediction (Minority report)
“Wired magazine says that despite 2.5 quintillion bytes of data being created worldwide EVERY SINGLE DAY, the main issue that advertisers and agencies face is targeting the data to people who would realistically buy their products.” (http://252mc2014.wordpress.com)
Advertisers want targeted people. As a photographer I may take advantage of this technology in future, rather than just being at its whim.
Applications like this: the role of a photographer, videographer etc, anybody can see the world from our point of view. The media producers role…How do we compete with this. This is the question for our art form. Why use a photographer at a wedding…? When everyone could just watch the wedding through google glass, and edit the footage themselves. What we hope is that there will always be a space for talented aesthetic people.
“Ubiquitous computing is a post-desktop model of human-computer interaction in which information processing has been thoroughly integrated into everyday objects and activities. As opposed to the desktop paradigm, in which a single user consciously engages a single device for a specialized purpose, someone “using” ubiquitous computing engages many computational devices and systems simultaneously, in the course of ordinary activities, and may not necessarily even be aware that they are doing so.”
THE SEMANTIC WEB
-semantic means: the web can understand us, it can assess what we want.
We take it for granted that we have free access. People expect that they should have free access to the aesthetic as well.
This is the most reliable machine that humans have ever made. The internet itself has never gone down.
- “120 billion clicks per day.
- 65 trillion links between all the Web pages of the world.
- 2.5 million emails per second
- 170 quadrillion transistors
- 246 exabyte storage.
- 10 terabytes per second total traffic (the Library of Congress is about twenty terabytes. So every second, half the Library of Congress is swooshing around the world)
- It uses five percent of the global electricity on the planet.”
The analogy of the brain and Internet…
- “55 trillion links – almost the same as the number of synapses in a brain.
- A quadrillion transistors – almost the same as the number of neurons.” (http://252mc2014.wordpress.com)
“By the year 2040, the total processing power of this machine will exceed the total processing power of humanity.”
Where will this all lead?
There is alot of paranoia about semantic technology…
Watch from 3.39- 8.30
“There’s only one machine, and the Web is its OS. All screens look into the One. No bits will live outside the Web. To share is to gain. Let the One read it. It’s going to be machine-readable. You want to make something that the machine can read. And the One is us. We are in the One. – Kevin Kelly, Wired, exec editor.”
Student Project (israeli University)
A vision very slightly into the future
- The voices used reminds me of the calm voices used in the film the “The Island”.
- This in itself scares me, as they control their world, even though its a different idea, perhaps we will be controlled in a similar way…
- If this happens, will we think freely anymore?
- Looks quite innocent at the moment, gaming etc, however is it actually quite sinister?
Information from 252MC lecture and http://252mc2014.wordpress.com